A Short History of Lighting and Bulb Technology, Summarized by a Licensed Electrician
Today, we will share some information on the history of lighting and bulbs. You will not only learn how we got to this stage of lighting evolution but will also find out which the different types of bulb technology are as our most qualified electrician will discuss all this in today’s post.
We all know that the man who invented the light bulb more than 130 years ago is Thomas Edison. Of course, the consumer era that we live now requires lighting technology that is a bit different than what was invented so long ago. Consumers now have a wider array of choices when deciding which the most suitable lighting for them will be.
- In 1962 LEDs first appear in electronic consumer devices.
- In 1976 Helical CFL (3-dimensional) bulbs were invented.
- In 1995 CFL bulbs became commercially available.
- In 2012 the first classic 100 watt LED bulb replacement became available for the market consumers.
The four basic types of light bulbs which can be found on the market and used by your electrician today are:
- Incandescent. It has the lowest purchase price but the highest operational cost because it consumes a lot of energy and not only emits light but heat as well. Actually 90% of the energy produced is transformed in heat but not light. It is still preferred by many homeowners because of its nice dim color of light.
- Halogen. It is 3-4 times more expensive to purchase than the incandescent bulb but the long term electricity savings cover the initial investment.
- CFL (compact fluorescent bulb). This is a spiral-shaped bulb, available in soft white, which uses about 75% less energy than incandescent lights.
- LED (light emitting diode). It has the highest upfront cost but is the most long-lasting option available these days. It can reduce your lighting energy consumption with as much as 85%.
If you want to work with an electrician who is familiar with all types of bulbs and lighting systems, you can contact the local office of Walford Local Residential Electrical Repairs and book an appointment. Our service electricians are based in Brooklyn NY and can be reached at (718) 221-5582!