Free Advice from Our Residential Electrical Contractors
While extension safety is a year-round concern, use of these devices is often more prominent during the holidays due to the increased use of electrical lights and decoration. Today, our residential electrical contractors have decided to help you prevent any accidents in your home during the holidays by listing a few tips on how to avoid dangerous mistakes with extension cords.
- Make sure you purchase cords only from authorized retailers in your area. You should not use an extension cord which does not carry the appropriate certification label of a well-known testing laboratory.
- Another rule of thumb is that the extension cords you use should be properly rated on their intended use (indoor or outdoor) and match the power needs of the device being used.
- Never overload extension cords.
- Make sure you keep all outdoor extension cords clear of snow and standing water and well-protected from the elements.
- Make a full examination of the cords before each use. Frayed, cracked, or damaged cords should be replaced as soon as possible after you see them.
- It is highly recommended that you plug multiple outlets directly into mounted electrical receptacles. They cannot be chained together.
- Avoid running cords through floors, ceilings, doorways, and walls. You may accidentally damage them easier than if you run them through other places around your home.
If you are curious to find out more about protecting your family and your family from problems with electrical outlets, feel free to contact the residential electrical contractors of Walford Local Residential Electrical Repairs. We are a team of young professionals based in Brooklyn NY, which can help you with all types of electrical problems you may have. In order to take advantage of our services, you need to contact us at (718) 221-5582!